How do I enroll in Part B?

igdmaster's picture

I’m turning 65 and I’m already receiving my Social Security benefit:  If you are already receiving your retirement benefit from Social Security, you will be automatically enrolled in Part B as of the first of the month of your 65th birthday.  You can expect to receive your Medicare card in the mail before your birthday month.

I’m turning 65 but I’m delaying my Social Security benefit:  If you are delaying your Social Security retirement benefit, you will not be automatically enrolled in Medicare. You can apply for Medicare online at  You can also apply in person at a local Social Security office, or by calling Social Security at 800-772-1213. 

I’ve been working since I turned 65 and have been covered by a group plan:  You will not be able to apply for Medicare online. You will need to submit two forms to Social Security in order to qualify for a Special Enrollment Period and avoid the late enrollment penalty.  The first form, CMS 40-B, is the Application for Enrollment in Medicare-Part B.  In the “Remarks” section of the form, indicate the first of which month you would like your Part B coverage to be effective.  The second form, CMS-L564, documents your group coverage since you became eligible for Medicare and requires your employer to complete part of the form.  Once both forms are completed, take them to your local Social Security office. 

I did not enroll in Part B when I turned 65 and have not had group coverage:  During the General Enrollment Period between January 1 - March 31, you can enroll in Part B by completing the form CVS 40-B, the Application for Enrollment In Medicare-Part B, and submitting it to your local Social Security office.  Your coverage will be effective on July 1.  You may be subject to a late enrollment penalty.